CareersInc in Your School
Your CareersInc adviser is Gemma Dobson. She can be found in the breakout area (behind reception) on Thursdays.
What we do:
- If you are in Year 11 you may have a careers interview to talk about your post-16 pathway plans and your long term career choices.
- We deliver careers education for students until the end of Year 11 through tutors in school. This will help to give you the skills you need to find out about yourself, local opportunities and make effective decisions. The aim is to prepare you to make decisions about post-16 pathways.
- We attend options events and learning and pathway days to give you advice about your options and future career choices.
Careers information in your school
- Information including latest news and updates, is posted on the plasma screens and noticeboards around school.
- Careers resources are also available in the library and sixth form centre.
- We will also post latest news and updates including information about local opportunities and events on the latest news feed on this website
There are a number of Sixth Forms in the area such as Outwood Academy Hemsworth Post 16 Outwood Grange Academy Post 16, Outwood Academy Adwick, New College Doncaster, New College Pontefract and Barnsley Sixth Form College
Find out more about going to a Sixth Form.
- Barnsley College – www.barnsley.ac.uk
- Dearne Valley College – www.dearne-coll.ac.uk
- New College Pontefract – www.ncpontefract.ac.uk
- Wakefield College – www.wakefield.ac.uk
- Doncaster College – www.don.ac.uk
- Leeds City College – www.leedscitycollege.ac.uk
Find out more about going to college
Apprenticeships and Traineeships
Apprenticeships and Traineeships are available through the following local training providers:
These websites are worth checking on a daily basis
Another place to look can be on the big national job vacancy sites, which also include local search options.
Examples sites include:
You can also explore course subjects and more at the following websites
Find out more about Higher Education.
Local Labour Market Information (LMI)
You will find local Labour Market Information relevant to the Barnsley Area here
The Barnsley area’s economy was formerly based on coal and glass-making. Only one glass-maker rmains, the Ardagh Glass Group. Since the decline of these industries the area has moved towards a service economy. The western part of the borough is predominantly rural, and includes the market town of Penistone. Recent regeneration deveopments have included the transport interchange, a cultural centre in the old Civic Hall, the Digital Media Centre, and new offices and apartments throughout the town centre.Barnsley has a three year plan to create 39,000 new jobs and 1,600 new businesses.
Key sectors include:
- Advanced manufacturing and engineering: employs over 15% of the workforce, 12,000 jobs. Employers include Galpharm, Koyo, Kostal, Laserweb, Melett, Qualter Hall, Sash UK.
- Business and professional services: employs 8,000, over 10% of the workforce. Includes many small businesses such as accountants and bookkeepers, business coaching, HR services, printers. Supported by Barnsley Business and Innovation Centre. The HSBC data centre is located in Barnsley.
- Creative and Digital: Barnsley Digital Media Centre, CandIT Media, Cutting Technologies, DM Squared, IT Desk.
- Construction: Amco Construction, Carillion plc, Premier Construction. Construction represents 15% of Barnsley businesses an dhas had employment growth nine times the regional average since 2009.
- Logistics: employs 5,000, 6.4% of all employment. Employers include ASOS (online retail), Aldi, Norbert Dentressangle, Seymoor Transport. Logistics in Barnsley had a 29.5% increase since 2009.
- Renewables: employers include EDF Energy Renewables, Pennine Heat Pumps Ltd, Regional Energy, Renewable Energy Centre.
- Visitor economy: attractions include Cannon Hall Park, Elsecar Heritage Centre, Wentworth Castle Gardens, Wortley Hall and Gardens.
Top employers advertising online in 2016
Note: some employers will be missing from the table, because many postings are placed by recruitment agencies, which tend not to name the employer.
|National Health Service||624||health||Barnsley|
|CRA Consultants||29||legal/financial agency||Barnsley|
|Exemplar Healthcare||29||care homes||Barnsley|
|Pentagon Motor Holdings Ltd||25||car dealership||Barnsley|
|The Construction Jo UK||23||construction agency||Barnsley|
|Voyage Care||23||care homes||Barnsley|
|The Bannatyne Group||21||health clubs||Barnsley|
|Horizon Community College||17||education||Barnsley|
|Netherwood Advanced Learning Centre||17||education||Barnsley|
|16 Resourcing Ltd||16||manufacturing agency||Barnsley|
|Barnsley MBC||16||local authority||Barnsley|