CareersInc in Your School
Your CareersInc adviser is Sean Panting. You can find me in the Careers Room opposite East Hall near Student Support.
What I do
- If you are in Years 9-13 you may have a careers interview with me to talk about your post-16 or 18 pathway plans and your long term career choices.
- From September I’ll also be available for drop in sessions outside the Careers Room between 10.35 am and 10.50am on Thursdays. Come and see me if you have any queries about your options or career choice.
- I will attend all the Parents Evenings (dates To Be Confirmed) for Year 8, 9, 10, 11 and students in the 6th form to give you and/or your parents advice about your options and future career choices:-
- If anyone is unable to attend or has a query at any other time I can be contacted on email@example.com
FUTURE CAREERS EVENTS
Year 10 Mock Interviews
Year 10 students will be writing CVs in school in preparation for mock interviews with local employers.
A great opportunity to get feedback and improve your interview technique.
Year 11 Assembly
A Year 11 assembly will be held to ensure all our school leavers are fully aware of their options and the support available to them.
CAREERS INFORMATION IN YOUR SCHOOL
- There is a careers notice board outside the East LRC and another opposite the Careers Room.
- Careers resources are also available in the library
- We will also post news and updates including information about local opportunities and events on this website
- For latest news and updates please follow @CLWCareers on Twitter.
Find out more about going to a Sixth Form.
- Nottingham College
- City College
- Stephenson College (Nottingham Campus)
- Brooksby Melton College
- Vision West Nottinghamshire College
Find out more about going to college
Apprenticeships and Traineeships
Apprenticeships and Traineeships are available through the following local training providers:
- Nottingham Trent University
- University of Derby
- University of Nottingham
- Nottingham College
- University of Leicester
- De Montfort University
- Loughborough University
Find out more about Higher Education.
Local Labour Market Information (LMI)
Nottinghamshire has a large and growing service and knowledge-based industry including areas such as finance, bioscience, creative, engineering and aerospace.
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) business and industry in the region
The East Midland’s economy is diverse, with world-leading companies in markets including Electronics, Engineering, Food & drink and Pharmaceuticals – BioCity Nottingham is the UK’s largest bioscience innovation centre.
Within Europe, the region has one of the highest concentrations of aerospace companies, accounting for 15% of the UK aerospace industry with 25,000 employers in this sector. The National Space Centre based in Leicester helps to promote careers across the space industry.
Around 14,5000 people work in the IT and telecoms sector in Notts – a large increase in the last year. The industry is desperately seeking girls! Young women make up less than 20% of the workforce.
Business, Finance and Customer Services
Nottingham is the financial centre for the East Midlands and along with Business supports over 75,000 jobs in the city. Areas likely to grow include finance and accountancy, sales and customer service roles, HR, logistics, ecommerce and business intelligence.
Retail is a large employment area in Nottingham – the city is the 5th most popular shopping destination in the UK.
Skills shortages include customer service and verbal communication.
Modern language skills are in demand especially for companies who operate or trade internationally.
Tourism and Hospitality
1 in 4 people in the UK work in hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism. Centre Parcs, Sherwood Forest and East Midlands Airport are some of the biggest employers locally.
This sector is expected to grow over the next 6 years with 17,000 people needed to replace workers who are retiring. Skills in demand include painting and decorating, bricklaying and wood trades. 13% of the workforce is female and this figure percentage is growing!
Health and Social Care
This is the largest employment sector in Nottinghamshire and the UK as a whole. Skill shortage areas include Midwives, Care Assistants, Social Workers, Orthoptists, Bioscientists and Radiographers.
For the latest information on the local labour market look at the D2N2 website.